Huge thanks to those who have expressed interest in buying my forthcoming book, The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance, which I blabbed about recently. It then occurred to me that, as some of you have suggested, I am likely to sell more books if I actually tell people how they can buy them. All I can say is that there is more than one reason I didn't go to business school.
First, as I understand it the books will not actually be out of the book machine until December 10. (Again, I'm a writer, not a … book-machine operator.) You can, however, order them right now through the ABA's website [but use the discount code, BAL13MFSH]. Some would call this "pre-ordering," but that doesn't make any more sense to me than "pre-boarding" an airplane. You've pretty much either done this or you haven't. You can't pre-do something.
Since I buried the link there, here it is again:
Here are some details for those whose pointers are still hovering.
- The book lists for $22.95 (hardback) but that is not the price you will pay under any circumstances as far as I can tell.
- You get a 20% insta-discount if you type in the discount code BAL13MFSH. Does it stand for something? Probably. The important thing is that it will cut the price to $18.36.
- If you are an ABA member, your ABA membership number will get you $5 off the list price. That cuts your price to $17.95.
- Hey! you now want to know, because nothing gets past you, if I am an ABA member do I get both discounts?! Wow, that doesn't seem to make sense, so of course the answer is yes. (I bought a copy so that I could (1) test the website (2) check the discount thing and (3) make sure I sold at least one (1) copy.) If you log in with your ABA membership number, and then type BAL13MFSH when you order, the price becomes $14.36.
- The page does say only one discount per purchase, but I am told the above scenarios are accurate. Still, you might want to order before they "fix" this.
- Best of all, these also appear to stack with the discounts for buying in bulk, which can be as high as 40% if you buy 100 or more books (which I know you were considering). So ABA members who order 100+ books get them for the stupid price of $8.62 each. So if you have 99 friends or need to insulate your fallout shelter, there you go.
- Basic shipping is $6.95, but only $16.95 if you are buying 100 (17 cents per book!). So the latter really does seem like the way to go, doesn't it?
- Books should start shipping in plenty of time to get them for Christmas if that is your motive.
If you don't care about Christmas (!), the book will be available through Amazon in mid-January. Why not right now? I do not know. Amazon will certainly discount it to some extent, and shipping would be less, but I don't know what the ultimate cost would be.
Note: if you go to Amazon and search for "The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance," Amazon will suggest, among other things:
- Introduction to Homeland Security: An Emergency Management Perspective;
- What Would Sasquatch Do? and
- The Booty Call Emergency Kit.
So clearly it has no idea what's going on at the moment.
Some have asked whether there will be paperback and e-book versions, and the answer is yes but not until January. For the person who asked whether he could pirate the e-book version, the answer is probably yes but I hate you. Plus, Google may beat you to it.
Please let me know if you have other questions, and again, thanks for the interest!
Update (Dec. 10): Possibly due to the horrendous weather in parts of the country that aren't California, the book doesn't appear to be in the warehouse yet. Existing orders should start shipping the same day they get it in stock, which hopefully will be soon.